DSA’s Green New Deal campaign hosted a chapter-wide, 3-session training series in coordination with the Growth & Development Committee on how to create, assess, and build a Green New Deal-style campaign. The series was attended by over 100 comrades across 40+ chapters.
Session 1: Strategic Campaigns & Choosing a Demand
This introductory session introduces the Green New Deal campaign – who we are, what we are doing, and why – and how your chapter can create a GND campaign strategy using our framework. Special appearance by New York City DSA on their Public Power campaign.
- GND Theory of Change
- GND Context
- Why now?
- Breaking Down a Campaign
- Components of a campaign
- Build Public Renewals Act Case study
- Which Demand Is Right for Your Chapter?
- GND campaigns
- Criteria for demands
- Imagine your chapter….
Session 2: Analyzing & Building Our Power
- Identifying a Target
- Types of targets
- Where does the target’s power come from?
- Developing a Power Map
- Who’s the Opposition?
- Developing a power map
- Green Social Housing case
- Using the Power Map for Organizing
- Organizing the base into DSA & allies into a coalition
- Tensions in GND coalitions
Session 3: Escalating Tactics & Adjusting Strategy
- What It Will Take to Win a GND
- Using the demand to build the base
- Building a coalition to win
- Strategy vs. Tactics
- The Anytown Transit Expansion Campaign
- Sample escalation of tactics
- Building a Campaign Team
- Building a campaign plan and team
- Making adjustments